On July 7, 2023, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) published a notice informing the fresh produce industry of changes to the Canadian Grade Compendium: Volume 2 – Fresh Fruit or Vegetables.
These changes reflect feedback received from industry, trading partners, and stakeholders, during the consultation period covering:
• A new standard for greenhouse miniature seedless cucumbers.
• Updates to the grades and requirements for greenhouse long seedless cucumbers, including changes to size requirements and clarifications to terminology for defects and tolerances.
The modified and new standards are found in the following:
• Part 2 Grade Requirements for Fresh Vegetables.
• Grades and Requirements for Greenhouse Long Seedless Cucumbers, paragraphs 148-154.
• Grades and Requirements for Greenhouse Miniature Seedless Cucumbers, paragraphs 200-206.
The CFIA is committed to providing industry with sufficient time to adjust product grading and labels. The transition period begins July 7, 2023, when this change came into force, and ends on January 6, 2024.
As of January 7, 2024, the previous grade requirements will cease to apply, and all regulated parties must comply with the new requirements.
Consult the notice to industry to learn more.
Questions or concerns can be sent to [email protected].
The DRC extends its thanks and appreciation to members of the fresh produce industry review team and other industry stakeholders who contributed to reviewing the existing grade standard and the development of the new grade standard for mini cucumbers. Publication of an updated standard for greenhouse tomatoes is expected in the coming months.